Science and religion are not in a fight
by: Patrick Young, Ph.D.

Home | Audio | Buy | Contact | Downloads | FAQ | Links | | TOC | Videos

Dr. Patrick Young's Home page

Letter to the Editor of the Columbus Dispatch
Submitted December 29, 2003 but not published


Ian Wilsonís Dec. 28 letter to the Dispatch vainly attempts to dispel several myths about evolution, but in the process, perpetrates a few myths of his own.

No one is debating whether a majority of scientists today believe that evolution is the most credible naturalistic explanation for the origin of man. The argument is this, just because a majority of people believe something is correct, does that make it true; or does that give the majority a right to censor the ample body of information that is contrary to their belief.

While it is arguably true that the religious views of the average scientist may mimic the "average guy on the street", it is factually incorrect to extrapolate this conclusion to include the members of the National Center for Science Education and the National Academy of Science. It is these two organizations that place tremendous pressure on the public education system to teach only the evidence that supports evolution and censor all information to the contrary.

A random survey of the of the National Academy of Science that was later published in a 1998 volume of the Journal of Nature reveals that 72 percent of its members are atheist and 21 percent are agnostic for total of 93 percent who question or flatly reject the existence of a personal God. Oxford University scientist Peter Atkins commented on the survey by saying, "You clearly can be a scientist and have religious beliefs. But I donít think you can be a real scientist in the deepest sense of the word because they are such alien categories of knowledge." So this organization is saying that believing in God keeps you from being a real scientist.

Finally, it is a correct statement to say that "science and religion donít have to fight." However, science and religion are not the oneís quarreling. The actual fight is between science and the pseudoscience of macroevolution. Further, it is a incorrect to suggest that the U.S. is the only country where God and macroevolution are mutually contradictory. This debate is raging in several other countries throughout the world.

Patrick Young, Ph.D.
Canal Winchester, Ohio 

Contact  Dr. Young with your comments or questions

Home