Statement of Faith
Eleven statements of Faith
Four reasons why we believe in the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible:
Eleven statements of faith (top)
1. The existence of God as creator is evident in his creation (Romans_1:18-22). 2. Jesus Christ is the only divine Son of God. He was born of the virgin Mary, lived on the Earth as a man until his death and resurrection about 2,000 years ago. He will return in a second coming, an event this generation may witness. 3. Salvation can only be obtained by faith in Jesus Christ. He paid fully the price for our sins when he died on the cross and rose again. We can not earn our own salvation through good works. 4. The entire Universe was created by God in 6 days of approximately 24-hours each, as revealed in Genesis 1 and Exodus_20:11. 5. Biblical truth always takes precedence over man-made knowledge (i.e. science). Nothing man knows should ever be given equal or greater footing than Gods Holy Word in the Bible. 6. Proper Bible study cannot be done without at least a basic understanding of hermeneutics. When studying the Bible, the approach towards interpretation should be one of exegesis, not eisegesis. Eisegesis leads to incorrect interpretations of scripture like theistic evolution, progressive creationism, the gap theory, and the day-age theory. 7. Both Biblical and scientific evidence indicate a young Earth (and universe) approximately 6,000 years old. 8. A world-wide flood occurred about 4,000 years ago that covered all land, including the highest mountains on earth (2 Peter 3:3-6).. 9. All compromising Christian theories concerning creation such as theistic evolution, progressive creationism, the gap theory, the day-age theory, etc. shall be opposed and are considered false. 10. Evolution is a false religion. 11. The 66 books of the Bible are fully-inspired by God. The original texts are without error. Overall, the King James Version (KJV) Bible is the most accurate English translation. However, we would not agree that it is a perfect translation. In spite of its flaws, the intended meaning of the scriptures can still be determined through a proper understanding of hermeneutics, and good study aids. See the following link for some concerns about some of the other popular translations:
Some versions of the Bible to avoid include (not an exhaustive list):
- Modern translations that are politically correct "gender neutral". These Bibles deny the fact that God refers to Himself as "Father", "Son", "He", etc.
- Paraphrased versions (like The Living Bible). They're nearly impossible to do word studies with, and some of the paraphrasing alters too much of the original wording.
- Bibles that are a special translation used by a particular cult like the New World Translation which is used by the Jehovah's Witnesses (they add and subtract things from the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic text to fit their biases in interpretation).
Other 'holy' books to avoid are any that claim to be an additional revelation to the Bible, or ones that claim to be better than the Bible. Examples include (not a complete list):
- The Book of Mormon
- The Apocrypha books and extra chapters of the Catholic Bible
- The Koran
- The Urantia book
Even if you're using a good translation, there are still several things you can do to help assure that you are interpreting it correctly.
- Pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit in your interpretation.
- If possible, own an expository. Vines is a pretty widely used one.
- Get at least two or three good Commentaries. Many good ones are available in their entirety on various internet web sites. Go to a search engine and search for "Bible commentary".
- Get an Interlinear Bible. It's helpful if it's coded with the Strong's Reference numbers.
- Get a Parallel Bible. It lists two or more translations side-by-side for comparison purposes.
- Get a good Concordance. We like the Strongs and Youngs.
- Get help with interpretation from your church leaders. Leaders who can read the original Bible languages can be especially helpful, because they can compare the translation you're using with the original texts and tell you how they may differ, or what subtle interpretation issues there may be.
- Get books that deal with particular topics from a Biblical perspective (i.e. parenting, managing money, how to pray, child discipline, etc.).
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
1 Peter 3:15 (KJV)
Four reasons why we believe in the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible (top)
Here are four reasons (there are many others) why I believe in the total authority and accuracy of the Bible, and the God of Christianity.
1. The 100% accurate Bible prophecies concerning past, current and future events
I will divide them into two categories (there are more categories).
- Prophecies about Jesus, the Messiah. The Old Testament contains about 300 prophecies about the Messiah, Jesus. Just eight of these prophecies were examined in the book Messages from Heaven (See pages 58-61 of the book) to see what the likelihood of them coming true was. The entire book can be read on-line at:
They calculated the statistical odds that just these eight prophecies would come true and it turned out to be one in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. That staggering number is even more amazing when you consider that there were about 290 more prophecies that also came true that they didnít factor into the equation! It simply would have been impossible for mere men to have prophesied these things or even conspired with others many centuries after they had died to somehow "make" these things happen the way they did. The authors who wrote these prophecies were clearly inspired by God to write what they did. We can be certain that demons did not feed them this information because one test of whether prophecies are from God or from demons is the 100% accuracy test (Deuteronomy. 18:22). Satan can get it right sometimes, but not always. The Bible authors had a perfect record.
- Prophecies about the "last days" or "end times", especially those concerning Israel. We have a whole video about end-time prophecies streamed on our web site. The clip that deals with Israel is at this link:
Prophecies that deal with the "end times" or "last days":
101 Bible prophecies about the last days
The world-wide Marian apparition movement is also predicted in Biblical prophecies. See Messages From Heaven.
2. Scientific foreknowledge in the Bible (top)
There are numerous scientific facts in the Bible that weren't discovered by modern science until many hundreds or thousands of years after they appeared in the scriptures. The 66 books of the King James Bible were written approximately between 1,500 B.C. and 90 A.D. Given the fact that submarines, airplanes, satellites and other modern technology were in rather short supply during those times, it is amazing that the authors of the various books of the Bible knew what they did with such great accuracy. See:
3. Harmony of doctrines over 1,500 years and among 40 different authors (top)
Collectively it was written over about a 1,500 year period. It had about 40 different authors. Yet in spite of that, the old testament books are in complete harmony with the new testament books. This is quite remarkable when you consider how difficult it would have been for 40+ men to have perpetrated a hoax as complex and wide-spread as the Bible over a 1,500 year period, and the fact that many of the Bible's authors died a martyr's death because of their absolute belief in it's authenticity.
4. Personal experiences (top)
I could cite many, but to be brief, I'll share one story with you. Several years ago, I knew a woman named Becky. After dropping her off at her apartment, where she lived with two other female friends of mine, I noticed that Becky had 11 books sitting on the kitchen table. All of them were about black magic, Satanism, casting spells, etc. I asked her why she had them. She showed me a diary she had been keeping for several months. It contained detailed accounts of her frequent encounters with a spirit that appeared to her that identified himself to her as Satan. She experienced these apparitions while she was awake and in her sleep. Stephen King would have been very envious of her diary.
She said she was absolutely terrified by them and had gotten the books to help her understand what was going on. We talked about this a lot more and it soon became clear to me that she probably was in fact demon possessed. If you are curious about how I could come to such a conclusion, I won't go into all that here. Just get a book titled "Satan is Alive and Well on Planet Earth" by Hal Lindsey. I have serious concerns about some of his other books on end-time prophecies, but he seems to have hit the nail on the head with this particular book. Back to the story. The other two women she lived with were both strong Christians. I discussed the situation with them and we all concluded that we needed to talk with Becky as a group to let her know that she may in fact be possessed.
We asked Becky to meet with us a couple nights later. It was a summer day, and we started talking with her as it was starting to get dark outside. She was sitting on the couch. I told her that we all felt that she should consider getting expert help because we were concerned that what she was experiencing went beyond just apparitions. I told her we were concerned she was actually possessed. She seemed surprised. I can't recall all of what happened after that, but I do recall that shortly afterwards she felt very tired and exhausted. She laid down on the couch. A few minutes later, I decided to approach her. As I got closer, she suddenly opened her eyes. She bared her teeth like a wild dog, held her hands up close to her body like claws. She hissed at me like a wild animal, then spoke to me in a man's voice demanding that I not touch her or come any closer. All the while she was pressing herself hard back into the couch as if she was trying to pull away from me. None of us had ever seen her behave like this before.
I backed away. Shortly after that, she sat up and seemed exhausted. She had no recollection of what she had just done when we told her. That seemed to scare her even more. They owned a small Chihuahua dog. We all watched in amazement as the dog started to track something with its eyes up on the ceiling that we could not see. It eventually tracked it to just above my right shoulder. The dog then walked about 12-15 feet away from where it had been and continued to track something in the room. Suddenly, it bolted across the room at full speed. It was yelping as it ran. It's head was backwards as it desperately tried to bite something that was behind it, chasing it. But there was nothing there that we could see. He ran underneath a book case and sat there visibly shaking in obvious fear of something he was still seeing.
The next day, I arrived home from work where I lived across town, about 6-miles away from Becky's apartment. Four neighborhood kids who lived a few houses away came running up to me all excited. They asked me if I had been on my back porch the night before (when I was at Becky's) trying to scare them. I said "no", and asked them to explain what they were talking about. About 10-seconds into their explanation, I told them all to be quiet. I sent them to separate corners of the yard and asked them to each explain to me exactly what they had seen, one at a time out of earshot of the others. I didn't want them to hear each other's stories. They ranged in age from about 9-11 years old. They all told me exactly the same story.
They were playing army and were using our yard. It was just starting to get dark outside. This was also about the same time we were confronting Becky 6-miles away. They all were coming around my house from the front towards the back. Two of them on one side of the house, two on the other. They converged in the back of the house where my bedroom window was. At this point, they all described seeing exactly the same thing. They said it was a creature of some kind on the back porch, which was an elevated porch, just outside my bedroom window. It had slicked back (greased appearance) dark hair, two small horns protruding from its forehead and a very scary expression on its face. Its eyes were glowing red. It had a symbol on its forehead. It was either an oval with a diamond shape inside, or the reverse, I can't remember for sure which. I think it was the former. They were absolutely terrified. They all took off running towards the alley. When they turned around and looked back, it had gone through the wooden floor of the porch and was now underneath it. It's eyes had also changed to glowing green.
Click on image above
to see larger picture
of where this incident
I had lived in that house for 11-years with my Dad and brothers. These were good kids and I had never known these kids to lie about anything. It was also quite obvious given their excitement level and the animated way they told their stories to me that they were not making this story up. It also was no small coincidence that what they had seen happened at almost exactly the same time I was confronting my demon possessed friend and encouraging her to get expert help in dealing with her problem.
I have since speculated that the demon that appeared on my back porch in front of those kids was most likely there to scare me away from Becky. It worked. I realized then that my other two friends and I had a tiger by the tail that we were not experienced enough to handle. Becky did seek help from a Christian family who were experts at helping people who were possessed. She went to live with them. During that time, she repeatedly attacked the husband, wife and their children in demonic fits of rage. She broke all kinds of things in the house. They eventually had to give up on Becky because nothing they tried worked. Becky was the first person they had ever not been able to help. I never heard from Becky after that. In case youíre curious, there is a Biblical precedent for some demons being this tough to drive out. See Mark 9:17-29.
What this incident any many others in my life did was to bring the pages of the Bible alive. If there were any doubts about the authenticity of the Bible in my mind prior to that, they were gone after that point. I learned that the warnings in the Bible about demons, and about our protection from them by God was absolutely true. I also learned from these experiences and many others that God's warnings in the Bible about the ability of demons to deceive even the brightest humans, and their ability and willingness to perform various miracles with the intent to deceive were absolutely true.
How do we know the Bible is true?
Sermons about demons (biblical view, how they operate, our response to them, etc.)
(Some of the sermons are also available as .pdf text files)
Home | Top